The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was introduced by the Canadian government in 2008 with the aim of enhancing the country’s capacity to draw and retain top-tier doctoral students and positioning Canada as a worldwide hub for research and education.
Vanier Scholars are graduate students in the natural sciences, engineering, health, and/or social sciences and humanities who exhibit a high quality of intellectual performance and leadership abilities.
Each year, up to 166 scholarships are given out. There are always 500 scholarships available in total.
How much is the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is $50,000 per year
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship selection Criteria
The following are the three equally weighted criteria that are used to evaluate and choose nominations:
- Academic Excellence
- Research Potential
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship Areas of research
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and humanities
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship Eligibility
- Canadian citizens
- Permanent residents of Canada
- Foreign citizens
Eligibility to apply for a Vanier Canada graduate scholarship
To be considered for a Vanier Canada graduate scholarship, you must:
- you must have been awarded a Vanier CGS, and only one Canadian institution may propose someone.
- you must be working on your first doctorate
- intend to pursue a full-time Ph.D. degree during the summer semester or the academic year that follows the release of the results.
- as of May 1, 2024, have finished no more than 20 months of full-time coursework for your doctorate
- having finished your doctoral program with no more than 32 months of full-time study.
- having completed their last two years of full-time study, or an equivalent, with an institution-determined first-class average in each. Applicants are advised to get in touch with the establishment to find out what constitutes a first-class average
Eligibility of Vanier Canada graduate scholarship program of study
- In order for a doctoral program to be considered eligible, it must have a substantial research component that results in the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is subjected to institutional merit/expert review.
- Professional degree-granting joint graduate research programs (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/PhD, MBA/Ph.D.) and clinically-focused programs of study (e.g., clinical psychology) are eligible programs if they feature a substantial independent research component, as previously mentioned.
Eligibility to hold a Vanier Canada graduate scholarship
To hold the Vanier Canada graduate scholarship, the candidate must:
- be enrolled full-time in the doctorate program at the Canadian institution of nomination;
- you can not be awarded a Vanier Scholarship and a faculty position at the same time unless you establish a leave of absence from the position
- stay enrolled in their doctoral program and continue to make excellent progress;
- not currently hold, or have held, a doctoral-level fellowship or scholarship from the SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR to pursue or finish a doctorate program;
- not hold another SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR training award at the same time (with the exception of the Michael Smith Foreign Studies Supplement); and
- The award takes effect on May 1, September 1, or January 1 of the year after the offer of an award, and commences the award within a year of the earliest feasible start date.
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship Documents
- Application details (form)
- Canadian Common CV (CCV)
- Nomination letter: a maximum of two pages signed by the nominated institution’s relevant department head
- Institution transcripts: The institution’s administrative personnel scanned and attached
- Personal Leadership Statement: applications in English may only be two pages long; applications in French may only be up to 2.5 pages long (student self-evaluation).
- Two Leadership Reference Letters: maximum of two pages each (written by a non-academic acquaintance of the applicant; the letter is included in the nomination by the candidate)
- Research proposal: applications in English may be no more than two pages, while applications in French (written by the student) may be no more than 2.5 pages.
- Project references: maximum five pages (written by the student)
- Research contributions: maximum one page (written by the student)
- Special circumstances: (optional) – maximum one page (written by the student)
- Two referee assessments: three sections each
How to apply for Vanier Canada graduate scholarships
Applicants seeking a Vanier Canada graduate scholarship should confirm that the university to whom they are submitting a doctorate application has a Vanier CGS.
To apply for the Vanier Canada graduate scholarships the institution that the candidate wishes to attend must nominate them. Direct applications for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program are not accepted.
The Canadian institution that will be making the nomination will get the Vanier CGS application packages that are submitted through ResearchNet first.
It is advisable for candidates to confirm internal deadlines at the nominating institution by speaking with the administrator.
Before starting your application, candidates should read the Selection Committee Guide. Together with helpful information on how the criteria are reviewed, this handbook includes a list of the three evaluation criteria.
Since the selection committees for Vanier CGS are multidisciplinary, proposals ought to be prepared with a general research readership in mind rather than a specialist audience.
Before starting to prepare an application, you must also read the page on equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Candidates must have an average score of at least 3.1 in each of the three categories in order to be funded.
Tips for applying for the Vanier Canada graduate scholarships
- Start your application process by using Universities Canada to investigate Canadian universities. We advise looking over the websites of each university and doing extensive research on the doctoral program of your choice as well as potential research supervisors.
- To find out if your desired institution has a quota for the year you are applying, check the Vanier CGS quota website.
- Applicants must use ResearchNet to prepare, complete, and submit their applications.
- Before the application is reviewed, any information that is deemed unnecessary or that surpasses the allotted pages or characters will be deleted without prior notice.
- To make sure their application is comprehensive, applicants must preview every section of it.
- Applicant must complete the “Consent and Submit” task on ResearchNet before the Vanier-Banting Secretariat can lawfully accept the application.
- While these pages offer broad guidelines, they may not contain all the details needed to finish an application. For technical assistance, contact [email protected] by email or by calling 1-888-603-4178 or 613-954-1968 between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Vanier Canada graduate scholarship Important Dates
- July – November 2023: Interested Candidates will look for an institution to nominate them, then get ready and send in their application.
- Internal Deadline (varies): The deadline for applying to the university that nominated you. For a precise date, get in touch with the nominated organization.
- November 1, 2023 (20:00 EDT): The deadline for institutions to submit Vanier CGS program nominations is approaching.
- November 2023 – March 2024: examination and assessment of the nominations.
- Early April 2024: Results announcement was anticipated. Email notifications will be sent to the nominees upon the results’ availability on ResearchNet.
- May 1, 2024, or September 1, 2024, or January 1, 2025: Payments begin.
Visit the official scholarship Website
- Google Ph.D. fellowship (India, Africa, Canada, Europe, Australia program) 2024
- The Francis H. Brown African Scholarship Application Eligibility and Amount 2024
- Lester B Pearson Scholarship 2024 in Canada (fully funded)
- Leakey Foundation Research Grants Application, Requirement, and Amount 2024