The Shot Cut video editor is a free platform, Open source, for Mac, Linux, and Windows. This video editor helps with editing and encoding in 4K which allows you to export them in different file formats.
It allows you to include subtitles, audio, and sped effects which in turn allows you to reverse a clip.
Table of Contents
What Are The System Requirements For Shotcut Video Editor
Here is a list of system requirements for Shotcut video editor Windows, Mac, and Linux below:
- 64-bit Windows 7 – 10
- Apple OS X 10.8 – 10.10
- 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.13.
- x86-64 Intel or AMD;
- At least one 2 GHz core for SD, 2 cores for HD,
- and 4 cores for 4K
- OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible.
- On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers.
- At least 4 GB for SD,
- 8 GB for HD, and
- 16 GB for 4K.
Is Shotcut Video Editor Free?
The Shotcut video editor is free and it is for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Is Shotcut Video Editor Safe?
The Shotcut video editor is safe and secure. When downloading it, you can rest assured that it is free of spyware, adware, and malware.
Is Shotcut Video Editor Good?
The Shotcut video editing software is good. It contains a lot of options that you would think were reserved for more sophisticated, high-end video editors. There are several options available in the effects menu for creating artistic videos, such as those related to color grading, blurring, masks, and other effects.
Does Shotcut Video Editor Have a Watermark?
The Shotcut video editor comes without a watermark and this is an added advantage to users as most other video editing software comes with a watermark.
Advantages Of Shotcut Video Editor
Here is a list of advantages that the Shotcut video editing software comes with:
- Fantastic set of editing features
The reason why the Shotcut video editor is an advantage is that it does not come with a color grading tool or the magic VFX. Features that are used in quick sports video editing make it easy to create an outstanding sports video output.
Other added advantages are Transitions that are standard through clips, the ability to export single frames as images, the power of correcting fish eye effects, the inclusion of a chroma key, stabilization, making overlays, and the power to blur filters.
- High quality of Input/Export support
Shotcut video editor can load sports videos especially clips that are recorded in the form of UHD 4K/8K resolution which is not possible for some other video editing software.
- Friendly support format that is editable
Shotcut video editor works perfectly well on an old Core 2 Duo 32-bit Windows 7 PC that comes with no crashes and this is because people choose to be cross-platform. This also allows you to convert media sources to I-frame-only H.264, Prores MOV, and FFV1 MKV for easier and simpler video editing.
- Great technical support
Shotcut is updated regularly. Additionally, Dan, the developer, appears to be extremely receptive to user suggestions for enhancements and has a clear idea of what new features should be added gradually. Additionally, there is a vibrant forum community where you may obtain prompt answers to any issues you have regarding bug solutions.
Features Of Shotcut Video Editor
The Shotcut video editor comes with so many exciting features you need for easy usage
- Video files with alpha channel – both reading and writing
- Export single frame as image or video as image sequence
- Tone mapping HDR to SDR
- Color, text, noise, and counter generators
- EDL (CMX3600 Edit Decision List) export
- Webcam capture
- Audio capture
- Support for 4K & 8K resolutions
- Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
- Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
- Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
- No import required – native timeline editing
- Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TIFF, WebP as well as image sequences
- Support for the latest audio and video formats thanks to FFmpeg
How To Download And Install Shotcut Video Editor
We will be learning how to download the Shotcut video editor on Windows. Follow the steps below to download the software
- Step 1
All you need to do is visit the official website, shotcut.org using any browser
- Step 2
After you have access to the website, click on the download button to start downloading
- Step 3
Another web page will be opened and you will click on the Windows installer and the file will start downloading automatically.
- Step 4
Look for the downloaded file in your folder and open it
- Step 5
You will be asked to make changes to your system with a YES or No question. Make sure you select YES.
- Step 6
The next step is to locate the License Agreement Icon and click on the “Agree” button.
- Step 7
The next step is to choose the location where the file will be stored. All you need to do is choose the drive you want to install the Shotcut and ensure enough memory for that. After that is done, click on the Next button.
- Step 8
The installation options screen appears next; all of the options are blank, so you can mark them as needed. For example, select the Create Desktop Shortcut (Icon) option if you want your software to run on the desktop. Similarly, select the Remove Old Programme Files option if you want to get rid of outdated program files before clicking the Install button.
- Step 9
After the installation process will start and will a few minutes to complete the installation.
- Step 10
This is the final set up and it is complete.
How To Add Text In Shotcut Video Editor
The following ways are methods you can use to add text to Shotcut video software which are:
- Go to the timeline you would like to add your text to and select the clip
- Choose the filter
- Click on the + icon
- You will see four different filter menus
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and select text
- The time code is the default, however, you can change the wording by scrolling down to your own choice.
- You can make changes in color, size, background, padding, outline + thickness, and font.
- The text can be repositioned using the settings at the bottom of the box or by dragging it about the screen to find the ideal location.
- After you are done with the whole process click the + button again
How to Add a Transition In Shotcut Video Editor
- Make sure the Ripple button isn’t selected in your timeline menu before dragging one clip over the other to create a transition.
- A shape signifying a transition will emerge between the two clips after you release the mouse button. This will be dissolved by default.
- The timeline will have a panel appear to the left of it. You can adjust the transition in this window.
How To Add Text In Shotcut Video Editor
Shotcut offers two methods for adding text, both with advantages and disadvantages. we will be looking at the two approaches so you can choose from the method that is more suitable for you. You might need to combine the two if you are willing to do so.
The first method
- Locate your timeline and select where you want the text to appear
- Make sure you cut the clip at this point
- Navigate to the point where you want the text to disappear
- Make sure you cut the clip at this point
- You can select the point where you want your text to appear in the clip
- Make your way to filters
- Click the + button
- Look for the text icon
- There will now be a timestamp that will appear, you can modify to change the material that appears in the Text box on the filter screen.
- From this point, there will be the opportunity for adjustment of color, size, font, and position.
- You will start by making a new video track with a right-click (Add video track)
- click on open other
- Select text and click on “OK”
- Go to the playlist
- You will then drag the preview into the playlist
- You will then double-click the new playlist item
- Make sure the filter is selected
- Enter the text you want on the screen in the text box
- Go back to the playlist and drag it into the timeline in the video track when you are finished
How To Add Logo In Shotcut Video Editor
To add a logo to your video in the Shotcut video editor, you should follow these general steps:
- Open the Shortcut application on your computer
- Click on “Open File” or “Open Other” to import the video to which you want to add the logo.
- Import the logo image that you want to overlay on your video. To do this, click on “Open File” or “Open Other” again, and select your logo image.
- Drag your video file onto the timeline at the bottom of the Shotcut interface.
- Similarly, drag your logo image onto a separate video track above the interface.