Are you looking for how to get a Scholarship in Ghana to Study Abroad? if yes, then this article is for you.
Studying abroad provides immense benefits for students looking to expand their horizons. By studying overseas, students can gain valuable skills, understand new cultures, improve career prospects, and undergo tremendous personal growth.
However, studying abroad can also be prohibitively expensive for many prospective students in Ghana. This is where scholarships come in – they make studying overseas achievable and accessible for Ghanaians by providing crucial financial assistance.
There are many scholarship opportunities available from different sources like the Ghanaian government, foreign governments, international organizations, colleges, and private institutions.
Scholarships can cover all or part of the costs of studying abroad including tuition fees, airfare, living expenses, books, healthcare, and more.
Some even provide monthly stipends on top of covering fees. By winning scholarships, Ghanaian students can gain the benefits of global education without being restricted by finances.
In this article, my team and I have provided a comprehensive Guide on How to get a Scholarship in Ghana to Study Abroad.
Table of Contents
Tips for a Winning Scholarship Application Process in Ghana
With numerous applicants competing for limited scholarships, having an outstanding application is key to success. Here are some top tips:
Begin researching and applying for scholarships at least 12 months before your intended program start date. Popular scholarships have early deadlines.
Tailor your materials
Customize your essays, resume, recommendations, and other materials for each scholarship. Align to sponsor priorities and selection criteria.
Have mentors, teachers, and others review your application. Revise based on their feedback.
Carefully adhere to all requirements and instructions. Submit all components accurately and on time.
Use your essays, resume, and interview to detail impressive academic, professional, and community accomplishments.
Convey your story
Let your background, personal experiences, and motivations shine through. Be authentic and persuasive.
Review your full application multiple times. Fix errors and improve clarity.
With preparation and a compelling application, Ghanaian students can win funding to fulfill their dream of an international education. Maximize your chances by heeding these tips. The effort will be well worth it!
Scholarships Offered by the Ghanaian Government
The government of Ghana offers several scholarships for Ghanaian students to pursue higher education abroad. The main government body that oversees these scholarships is the Ghana Scholarships Secretariat under the Ministry of Education. Some major national scholarships include:
GETFund Foreign Scholarships
- Fully funded scholarships for graduate studies (Masters, PhD) overseas.
- Covers tuition, airfare, healthcare, monthly stipend, books, and thesis research/printing.
- Awarded based on merit, not financial need. Must have a minimum of 5 years of work experience in Ghana.
- Apply directly through the GETFund online application system.
- For postgraduate study in any subject at a UK university.
- Covers airfares, tuition fees, and living expenses for 1 year (Master’s) or 3 years (PhD).
- Apply via the Ghana Scholarships Secretariat online portal.
Chinese Government Scholarships
- Bachelors, Masters, PhD scholarships for study in China.
- Covers tuition waiver, accommodation, and monthly stipend.
- Apply through the Chinese Embassy in Ghana.
Turkey Government Scholarships
- Undergraduate and graduate scholarships in Turkey.
- Covers tuition fees, accommodation, health insurance, monthly stipend.
- Apply via Ghana Scholarships Secretariat.
The government also offers scholarships based on national priority areas like healthcare, engineering, agriculture, STEM fields, etc. Research all options and contact the Scholarships Secretariat to learn about available programs well in advance.
Scholarships from Foreign Governments and Universities
There are several scholarship opportunities offered by foreign governments and overseas universities specifically for Ghanaian students looking to study abroad.
UK Government Scholarships
- Chevening Scholarships – Fully funded Master’s scholarships at any UK university. Covers tuition, living expenses, airfare, and more.
- Commonwealth Master’s Scholarships – For Master’s study in the UK. Covers tuition fees, airfare, and living costs.
- Marshall Scholarships – For postgraduate study at any British university. Extremely prestigious and selective.
Australian Government Scholarships
- Australia Awards Scholarships – Full scholarships for Bachelor’s and Master’s programs. Covers tuition, airfare, and Overseas Student Health Cover costs.
- Endeavour Postgraduate Scholarships – For Masters and PhD students. Provides tuition fees, travel, and health insurance.
United States Government Scholarships
- Fulbright FLTA – Teaching assistantship and Master’s scholarships in the US for Ghanaian students.
- Humphrey Fellowships – For mid-career professionals to undergo non-degree studies and leadership training in the US.
- EducationUSA Opportunity Funds – Need-based funding for undergraduate study at US colleges.
- Research universities around the world that offer dedicated international student scholarships, usually based on merit.
- Directly contact international student offices of desired universities for opportunities.
Securing government and university scholarships requires strong academic credentials, leadership experience, and a convincing application.
Contact relevant government departments and university international student offices early.
Scholarships from International Organizations
International organizations provide scholarships globally, including many opportunities specifically for students from Ghana and Africa.
Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program
- Provides full scholarships and support for African students to study at over 35 partner universities worldwide.
- Covers all expenses for undergraduate and graduate studies.
- Apply through the Mastercard Foundation or an affiliated university. Highly competitive.
African Union Scholarships
- Full scholarships for African students for graduate studies in STEM fields.
- Offered at major universities in Africa, Europe, USA, Canada etc.
- Apply via the Ministry of Education in Ghana.
Aga Khan Foundation Scholarships
- Need-based scholarship for postgraduate studies internationally.
- Covers tuition fees, living stipend, and health insurance. For Ismaili Muslim applicants.
Carnegie Mellon University Africa Scholarships
- Full tuition scholarships for graduate study at CMU-Africa in Kigali, Rwanda.
- For students from Sub-Saharan Africa, including Ghana.
WHO Public Health Scholarships
- For students from Ghana pursuing a Master’s in Public Health at an accredited university.
- Full tuition fees and a monthly stipend are covered.
Leverage opportunities from international agencies by focusing on their mission and values. Pursue scholarships in the socioeconomic sectors being targeted.
Corporate and Private Scholarships
Besides government and organizational scholarships, there are many private scholarships from corporations, foundations, communities, and philanthropic individuals. These provide focused funding for students meeting specific criteria.
Newmont Mining Scholarships
- Scholarships for students from Ghanaian mining communities to pursue undergraduate studies in mining-related programs.
- Fully covers tuition, accommodation, books, and more.
Google Africa Scholarships
- Merit-based scholarships for African students pursuing CS/engineering at universities in Europe and North America.
- Covers tuition fees, living expenses, travel, and more. Highly selective.
Ghanacoop Study Abroad Scholarships
- Need-based scholarships for Ghanaians to study at universities abroad.
- Awarded by Ghanacoop Credit Union annually. Covers partial tuition and living costs.
Diageo Ghana Scholarships
- Scholarships for top undergraduate students to study in Ireland.
- Fully covers tuition fees, flights, accommodation, and stipend.
Village Exchange Ghana Scholarships
- Need-based funding for local students to study abroad on Village Exchange programs.
- Partial funding, with the expectation of student contribution.
Identify credible providers aligned with your academic and professional interests. Have a strong application highlighting your achievements, leadership, community impact, and financial need if required.
Studying abroad is a life-changing opportunity that enables immense professional and personal growth for students. However, the high costs involved often deter prospective Ghanaian students who cannot afford overseas education on their own.
This is where scholarships serve as an invaluable enabler by providing full or partial funding to make international study achievable.
As covered in this guide, Ghanaian students have access to a diverse range of scholarship options from their government, foreign nations, universities, organizations, and the private sector.
By focusing on their academic strengths and financial needs, Ghanaian students can identify sponsors aligned to their goals and secure vital scholarships to fund their abroad ambitions.
The application process requires dedication, strategic planning, and a compelling application showcasing one’s achievements. But with diligence and commitment, Ghanaian students from all backgrounds can obtain the crucial support needed to access world-class global education through scholarships.
The long-term benefits of overseas study are immense and will empower students to return home and contribute meaningfully to Ghana’s continued growth and development.