Are you interested in learning more about the BGM Scholarship for exceptional minority students in 2023/2024? Check out the scholarship application process to learn how to enter and be eligible for it.
The Gates Millennium Scholarships program is now accepting applications for the school year 2023–2024. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation annually grants 300 scholarships to students who want to study in the US.
This esteemed scholarship program is founded on data showing that removing financial barriers to higher education can help high-potential, low-income minority students achieve in their coursework, graduate from college, and remain leaders throughout their life.
What is the gates millennium scholarship?
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation funded the Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program, which was started in 1999 to give deserving African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students the chance to finish their undergraduate degrees in any field of study. The following fields of study are eligible for financing from the GMS program: computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health, and science.
Who is eligible for the gates millennium scholarship
To be eligible for the scholarship, students must be African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American, and Hispanic American students with the chance to finish their undergraduate degrees in any field of study.
What does the Gates Millennium scholarship pay for
The Scholarships are awarded to 1000 students out of 50,000 applicants. The grant amount for the Gates Millennium Scholarship is flexible and covers living expenses, transportation costs, fees, books, Board, and tuition. It should be noted that awardees must meet the Pell Grant Requirements, which include tight income restrictions, making this a scholarship based on need.
Gates Millennium scholarship award amount
Over the academic years 2000–2012, Gates Millennium Scholarship provided scholarships worth over $763,628,869 to deserving students. Between the academic years 2001 and 2012, the average price was $12,227.
Gates millennium scholarship eligibility
In order to be eligible for the GMS eligibility criteria, you must:
- Must have an Impressive student profile.
- Be a high school senior
- Must originate from at least one of the following racial or ethnic groups: Asian & Pacific Islander, African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Hispanic, or Asian-American
- Must be a permanent resident, national, or citizen of the US
- Must maintain a 3.3 cumulative weighted GPA or higher on a scale of 4.0 to be in good academic standing.
- 3 needed Scholarship applications must be submitted, and are the student Application Form, Nominator Form (independent evaluation of high school student’s academic record), and Recommender Form (independent evaluation of student’s community service and leadership activities).
How do I get the Gates Millennium scholarship?
To get the Gates Millennium scholarship, the ideal candidate will have:
- An exceptional high school record in terms of grades (top 10% of the graduating class).
- Capacity for leadership (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities).
- exceptional abilities for personal achievement (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)
- The applicant must intend to enroll full-time in a four-year degree program at a private, public, or not-for-profit college or university that is accredited by the US.
Gates Millennium scholarship login
Click the link to visit the GMS portal and view the details of your grant.
Requirements for the gates millennium scholarship
The following files must be uploaded by students; they will be required at various stages throughout the application process:
- A copy of the student’s most recent transcripts (submitted by the counselor).
- Student Aid Report (SAR), following the completion of the FAFSA.
- Letter of Financial Aid Award.
- Admission letter for a four-year bachelor’s program at a non-profit, private, or public university.
- Headshot photo.
How to apply for the gates millennium scholarship
There are two sections to the Gates Millennium Scholarship application. Each component has a unique application procedure.
- The first part of the application is that A questionnaire must be filled out by each applicant. It takes about 30 to 45 minutes to complete the quiz. Students are required to provide information regarding their academic, professional, and leadership backgrounds. They must also provide personal information and financial aid details.
- The second part of the application is from the first pool of candidates, semi-finalists are chosen. The second questionnaire is required from semi-finalists. More in-depth questions are asked in this questionnaire. Students must submit essays and letters of recommendation for this section.
To apply for the Gates Millennium Scholarship all you need to do is to enroll online at the Gates Scholarship website.
There are other pieces of information you should also include in your application because the application process is very competitive. Let’s take a look at the information below:
- SAT/ACT scores
- College acceptance letter
- A financial aid award letter
- High school cumulative GPA
- High school class rank
- College Enrollment verification
- High school transcripts
Gates Millennium scholarship acceptance rate
- Providing funding to more than 16,000 GMS since the program’s commencement
- For Gates Scholars, the average first-year undergraduate retention rate is 97.9%, while the average second-year rate is 96%.
- The five-year graduation rate for the Gates Millennium Scholarship is 80.6%, while the six-year graduation rate is above 86.3%.
- Twenty-eight percent (28%) of Gates Millennium Scholars enroll in graduate programs; 14% pursue disciplines sponsored by Gates Millennium Scholarship, and 14% pursue fields not financed by Gates Millennium Scholarship.
- Over 1,865 colleges and universities have accepted Gates Millennium Scholars.
- Since the program began, more than 10,315 Gates Millennium Scholars have graduated with a degree.
Gates Millennium scholarship GPA requirement
The Gates Millennium scholarship requirement should have a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
Gates Millennium scholarship essay questions
The Gates Millennium scholarship essay questions are asked to know if a student understands the purpose of the scholarship that is given to them. Here are some of the possible essay questions that are asked for the Gates Millennium scholarship. Let’s take a look at some of the questions below:
- Talk about a time when you showed leadership in any aspect of your life, including work, school, sports, your family, your church, your community, etc.
Briefly describe a situation in which you felt that you or others were treated unfairly or were not given an opportunity you felt you deserved. Why do you think this happened? How did you respond? Did the situation improve as a result of your response?
- Discuss the subjects in which you have had difficulty. What factors do you believe contributed to your difficulties? How have you dealt with them so they will not cause problems for you again? In what areas have you experienced the greatest improvement? What problem do areas remain?
- Other than through classes in school, in what areas (non-academic or academic) have you acquired knowledge or skills? How?
- Talk about the subjects in which you are or have been exceptional. What are the causes of your success, in your opinion?
Gates Millennium scholarship deadline 2022
The Gates Millennium Scholarships will accept applications through September 15, 2022.
Gates Millennium scholarship contact
To contact the scholarship program, you need to visit the official website www.thegatesscholarship.org/contact-us for you to enquire and get across to them